[Mrs. Doubtfire voice] Help is on the way, dear! The Mets will get reinforcements on Monday when they go to Arizona to begin a nine-game road trip. Seth Lugo will be with the team for the first time this season. Pete Alonso and Kevin Pillar will return from their injuries. A Mets team that is 3.5 games up in first place in the division gets three key pieces back as they continue finding ways to win, including a 13-run parade on Saturday.
To talk about Saturday’s hitting and home run barrage and getting important pieces back, we bring you a new episode of the “Amazin’ But True” podcast with Nelson Figueroa and me, featuring an interview with Bill Pulsipher.
Amazin’ But True Podcast with Jake & Figgie:
- GETTING HEALTHY: Pete Alonso, Seth Lugo and Kevin Pillar all return to the Mets on Monday. What will Lugo’s role be? How important are Alonso and Pillar returning to the lineup? Fill-ins have done a solid job. Cameron Maybin finally got a hit. Goodbye to Mazeika Magic and for now, Sean Reid-Foley and Khalil Lee, who all get optioned.
- HITTING PARADE: What the heck happened Saturday? Everyone on the Mets was hitting, they were blasting home runs and they blew out the Braves. It was refreshing to see from a lineup that is injured and has not been scoring a ton of runs. Will be interesting to see this lineup with two bats back in it on a seven-game West Coast trip with a 3.5-game lead in the NL East.
Bill Pulsipher Interview:
Former Mets pitcher (1995, 1998, 2000), 6 seasons in MLB
- FIGGIE MEMORIES: Pitching with and against him in the minor leagues and in various winter leagues.
- DEPRESSION/ANXIETY: Dealing with depression and anxiety in minors and majors after dealing with all the injuries.
- ODD JOBS: Working on grounds crew in Port St. Lucie and in construction now. Pitching in all different leagues until he was 37.
Catch up on all episodes of “Amazin’ But True,” a New York Mets podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow Jake Brown on Twitter and Instagram @JakeBrownRadio and Nelson Figueroa @FiggieNY. New episodes are every Monday and Thursday.